Ready, set, go!
Take on the world!
Global Humboldt is a learning community for first-year students who have not yet decided on a major. It is designed to support you and your interests, experiences and strengths as you explore, create, and grow in your own way as a Cal Poly Humboldt student.
If you hope to make a difference, but first want to learn more about the world and what it needs from you, Global Humboldt is the perfect place to start. Join other Cal Poly Humboldt students who feel the same; jumpstart your academic and social life by becoming part of Global Humboldt.
In this program you will:
- You will live in housing reserved for Global Humboldt students and enjoy opportunities for coordinated social activities and academic support tailored to your interests and needs.
- You will benefit from support and guidance from advisors assigned to work with undeclared first-year students at Cal Poly Humboldt Visit the undeclared advising page to learn more.
- You will be part of a supportive cohort of students and build relationships with the program’s faculty and staff.
- You will study food, culture, Native American studies, rural and urban economic development, art, and ocean-coastal environments, developing your communication and writing skills at the same time. We will also help you find other courses to further explore your interests. Some of the options are:
- Global Humboldt Seminar (AHSS 180)
- Nature, Culture & Food (AHSS 108)
- Fundamentals of Speech Communication (COMM 100)
- Enlightenment and Post-Colonialism (FREN 100)
- Introduction to Native American Studies (NAS 104)
- Humboldt Peoples and Places (AHSS 102)
- You will explore the local area and the complex relationship between this beautiful place and the rest of the world.
- You will investigate academic major options and career opportunities to help you make more informed decisions both here at Humboldt and beyond.
- You will work with a RAMP mentor who will be available to provide 1-on-1 peer mentoring. Find out more at: humboldt.edu/ramp.
Who is this program for?
The Global Humboldt learning community is designed for students in their first year at Humboldt who are still navigating toward a choice of major. As part of a small community of Global Humboldt students you will have the opportunity to share a residence hall, fulfill a wide variety of general education (GE) courses together, and participate in activities both in and outside of class.
A world of possibilities awaits as you build on your passions and strengths at Humboldt. This “globally” themed learning community offers you an interdisciplinary introduction to that world. A group of dedicated staff and faculty will accompany you as the journey of exploration begins. Each one of them will do their best to help you make the most of your first-year experience, feel at home at Cal Poly Humboldt, find meaningful ways to connect, and create the college experience you are hoping for.